The following information was located regarding the monument of P.H. Sheridan, which was erected in 1905. Nellie served on the committee and was responsible for raising the money to erect the large granite base. She raised the money by heading a penny fund in which children contributed.
There is a bronze marker, adjacent to the courthouse, which states the following information in regards to the Sheridan monument :
The Sheridan monument was erected by and given to the Village of Somerset by the State of Ohio in 1905 to honor the memory of Somerset’s General Phillip Henry Sheridan. “Little Phil” was raised in Somerset and graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1852. He rendered valuable service to the Federal Army in the Civil War at Stone’s River, Missionary Ridge, Yellow Tavern, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Five Forks, and Appomattox. He later commanded in the West and became General of the Army in 1883, received his fourth star, and died in 1888. The heroic sculpture, created by Carl Heber of New York, portrays “Sheridan’s Ride” to Winchester. Somerset citizens paid for the granite base through a children’s “penny fund.”
Carl Heber was one Carl Augustus Heber (1874-1956). He was born in Germany and arrived in America, was naturalized in 1896. He married Elise Bureau(1868-1937) in 1902. They had three sons: Norman, Achille, and Charles. The family resided in New York, but by 1930 they relocated to Philadelphia, Pa. Elise died in 1937 at the age of 68. Carl Heber died in 1956 at the age of 82.